Subsidised Phones for Persons with Disabilities (PWDs Project)
This project aims to provide mobile devices with assistive features, at a subsidised cost, for all persons with disabilities (PwDs) inclusive of the visually impaired and hearing-impaired, who receive specified government grants from the Ministry of Social Development and Family Services or National Insurance Board.The Authority proposes to subsidise up to TTD $600 of the cost of the device.
Guidelines for Participation
Participants wishing to benefit from this initiative must:
- Meet the eligibility criteria established above to benefit from the subsidy.
- Cover any differences in excess of TTD600.
- Enter into an agreement with the Authority and the respective service provider.
Criteria for PwDs
The following criteria must be met for an individual to qualify for a subsidised mobile device:
- The applicant must be a resident of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago.
- The applicant must qualify under one of the 2 options specified below:
Option 1: The applicant has any disability and is receiving a grant from the Ministry of Social Development and Family Services (MSDFS).
Option 2: The Applicant is visually-impaired or hearing-impaired and in receipt of an invalidity grant, public assistance grant, food support cards or senior citizens’ pension Note: Evidence of the disability must be provided, such as a medical report or doctor’s certificate identifying and confirming the disability.
Procedure for PwDs to Receive an Assistive Device
Participants must call the Authority’s offices to schedule an appointment.
There is also the option to apply online, without the need for appointment.
- On the date of the appointment, the PwD will be required to submit a completed application form.
- For online applications, the application can be filled out an sent electronically (eg. via Email or WhatsApp).
- The PwD will also be required to submit the following documents to the Authority:
- Copy of national photo identification.
- Copy of most recent disability grant, public assistance grant or senior citizens’ pension (if paid via cheque).
- Copy of evidence of visual or hearing disability (medical report or doctor’s certificate). This is not required for disability grant recipients.
- The Authority will validate the eligibility of the applicant by verifying their information with the Ministry of Social Development and Family Services.
- The Authority, upon its satisfaction that all the criteria have been met, will approve the application and issue an authorisation letter to the applicant
- The applicant will submit the original authorisation letter to his preferred service provider at an authorised location and proceed to choose an assistive device.
- The applicant will be required to pay the retailer any outstanding amounts (10% of the first TTD $600 or any amounts in excess of the approved threshold).